Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> No where else to ask this, plus you're all a smart bunch.
>
> Today I got my new laptop at work and the help desk brought it in and said
> they had to send it back because it was making a high-pitched sound that was
> annoying. I couldn't hear it. I asked a couple of others to come listen to
> my laptop and tell me what they heard, and without knowing I couldn't hear
> it and without knowing the help desk was going to send it back, everyone
> said high-pitched sound, maybe hard drive or maybe video. More intrigued at
> why I couldn't hear this, I asked others, and some even said it was giving
> them a headache to hear it. WTF? Could there be frequencies some people
> can't hear that others can, similar to how some animals hear frequencies
> that no human can hear? I asked people of different ages and there was only
> one other person about my age who didn't hear anything at all, but some
> close to my age heard it loud and clear. I have never had a reason to think
> my hearing is impaired.

The upper frequencies are the first to go. I knew a Pathologist at work
that was unable to hear the alarm on the tissue processor as it was very
high pitched.

It was quite audible to me and others.

Anyone that routinely listens to LOUD music, either using earphones or
at dance clubs, tends to lose the upper hearing ranges. I learned that
in my Human Anatomy and Physiology class in college, but here is a cite:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensorineural_hearing_loss>
--
Peace! Om