Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Good Italian deli in southern California?

"Giusi" > wrote in message ...

| "Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
|
| > I will be wanting to replenish my supply of good Parmesan cheese while> I
| > am there.
|
| Vilco will back me up on this: there is no such thing as bad Parmigiano
| Reggiano, but all of that comes from Parma and not from any other country or
| state or even any other part of Italy. It comes different ages, but that's
| all the variety there is.

I don't wish to quibble (well of course I do) but Parmigiano Reggiano comes
from Modena, Parma, Reggio Emilia, Bologna and Mantova. There are distinct
but minor taste differences; Parma tends towards a sharper, saltier taste than
Reggio, which is more mellow, less full flavored. All are superb. Grana
Padano is a very old cheese, made the same way and having a similar taste
but usually a bit milder and it typically is sold at a younger age than Parm.

You might look for a Whole Foods in the Bakersfield area, they bring in a lot
of very good Parm and also Grana Padano:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/all/index.php

pavane