Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jinx Minx Jinx Minx is offline

Default Need help interpreting a measure

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I've got a recipe with this ingredient:
> 2 cans water-packed chunk white chicken (10 oz.), drained.
>
> I'm planning to make half the recipe and I can't decide if that measure
> as stated is to be 10 ounces total or 20 ounces (2 cans, 10 ounces each).
> My chicken breast half weighs about 6.5 ounces and I'm trying to decide
> what to do.
>
> I await your counsel. You've got until about 5:30 p.m., CDT.
> T'anks.
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

I say it's 10 oz. TOTAL. Weight designations after are commonly total
cumulative weights. Much the same as the difference between "1 cup nuts,
chopped" vs. "1 cup chopped nuts" or "1 tsp. cumin seed, ground" vs. "1 tsp
ground cumin seed". I've always thought of recipes like that as saying, if
you don't have 2 cans, use 10 oz. of whatever form you do have. When I
write recipes, I write them that way to accommodate people that may not have
access to the same igredients/brands as I do. Besides, both Chicken of the
Sea and Starkist come in 5 oz and 12 oz cans, not 10 oz cans or even 9.x
cans. Then again, I like my dishes with lots of protein so I'd probably use
both cans even when halving the recipe.

Jinx