Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou decruss Lou decruss is offline

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:05:37 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
>> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
>> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
>> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
>> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
>> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
>> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
>> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
>> the time capsule.

>Contrary to popular belief, one of the hardest things
>to burn is a book. I was told that by an old bookseller,
>who told me about his biggest score. He bought a collection
>on flowers that had been in a house that burned down.
>Insurance paid it off, he bought the books, removed the
>dust jackets, aired them out, and sold them to a collector
>in France.

I only grabbed furniture for the fire. The books I wanted. I guess I
can see how it came out wrong. There's a bunch of other old stuff I
grabbed that we haven't researched yet to see the value or evaluate if
we're going to keep. I agree that books should never be burnt or
tossed. When I thinned out my cook books I loaded them in the trunk
and drove with them for a month and everyone we saw got to pick what
they wanted. What was left was given to a resale store. There were
hundreds of books and not one ended up in a landfill.

Lou