Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Half-Century Wine Geeks-great wines 1924-2008 (Cali, Loire,Bdx, and much more)

On 5/24/10 11:08 AM, DaleW wrote:
> 1960 seemed to be a birthyear for a disproportionate number of metro
> area winegeeks, so the Real Jay Miller sent out an invite for a
> communal birthday offline. So yesterday John and I headed down and
> braved the Holland Tunnel to Jay's apartment in Jersey City. I believe
> there were 5 1960s present, plus a congenial group of others. In honor
> of the 60s food we grew up with, the menu was:

Wow! What an event, Dale. And good company for such an event, too.

> 1980 Knoll Loimer Schutt Gruner Veltliner
> Not only did I like the wine, but I learned the K IS pronounced (I've
> always wondered). Plums, pepper, mineral, smoke. Nice mouthfeel, maybe
> a bit fragile with some air. Not everyone liked, but one of my faves
> of the whites. B+/A-

Standard Germanic pronunciation, Dale. Names like Knecht, Knebel, Knoll
and (my favorite) Knövenagel all get the distinct k-n pronunciation.

> 2008 Eminence Road Farm Gewurztraminer (Finger Lakes)
> The winemakers were present, and I was happy not to have to make any
> evasions, as I quite liked this. Spicy, assertive, with good acidity
> for Gewurz. I'd buy this. Winery is in Catskills. B+

Aha! You got to "jeeb" with the elusive and mysterious Kay Bixler
(Andrew), subject of many a Chris Coad jokey reference. It's good to
hear that Andrew and Jennifer's wine is tasty, as I know from his posts
that their tastes definitely run Old World-y.

> 1978 Cheval Blanc (St Emilion)
> I had been holding to pair with a 79 for SOBER, but decided we needed
> to celebrate when Jay, John, Jeff, Jim, and I (lotta Js born in '60)
> became legal to drink. Nice solid cork, some bottle funk that blew off
> quickly. Lots of Gravesque tobacco, mature black fruits, a little
> leafy/green note. Nice concentration though not a muscular wine,
> classic for my tastes. In a good place. A-

I have really enjoyed all the '78s I've had over the past few years.
This sounds like a fantastic wine (surprise, surprise!)

> 1924 Huet Moelleux (pretty sure I heard this was LHL, but it was in a
> decanter)
> A bit out of order, but the decanter was emptying fast and I didn't
> want to miss this. No signs of tiredness, vibrant acidity, fresh fruit
> notes of peaches and oranges, turned soil, wax. Long, complete,
> excellent. A

Wow. Just, wow. You're in SFJoe territory with this. As you likely
know, '24 precedes Gaston Huët's purchase of the property, so the wine
was actually vinified by the Masse-Violet family (and the stocks were
purchased by Huët).

> 1974 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
> Really interesting, black currant fruit, notes of earth, cocoa, and
> BenGay (strangely, that's a positive is small doses). Nice length,
> balanced acidity, one of my favorites. A-

No surprise here. This wine was made by Ric Forman from good vineyard
sources. I wouldn't be surprised if erstwhile afw poster Bob Robertson
might not have had a hand in making that wine.

> 1945 Huet "Le Haut Lieu" Vouvray Moelleux
> Peaches, canteloupe, orange rind, caramel, wax, wool. Beautiful
> balance, color (gold/orange with a green edge), length. Maybe I'm just
> a vintage/label whore (nothing was blind) but the older Huets were
> everything I'd want in a wine. A

That's good to hear. Because of a misdirected email, I have more than a
sneaking suspicion that I'll see one of these come out of a CSW shipper
on my upcoming birthday

So, not a '60er in the lot, eh? Surely there are some '60 Ports
floating around that are quite drinkable still. BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
Dale!!!

Mark Lipton