Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Best wood for beef?

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
> I have the following woods available:
>
> Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.
>
> Since I normally do pork, with apple smoke, I'm not sure what *really*
> works with beef. Other than mesquite, that is.
>
> Your thoughts on which woods will work with a trimmed Brisket?
>
> I intend to smoke/roast ear corn, also.
>
> Then I'm going to fill a S/S mixing bowl with sea salt, and make some
> smoked salt.
>
> TIA and good cookin'.
>
> Alex, checking out his library.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on my BBQ when I combine oak and
mesquite. I start the fire and get a bed of coals with post oak, then
toss on a bit of mesquite. I have plenty of both.

I also have quite a bit of hackberry to use up now (once it dries out)
and that burns long and hot but I add oak to that also.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine