Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Saturated fat for tamale dough

On 5/22/2010 12:10 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> I had been assuming that if I make a tamale dough,
>> I'd have to use a saturated fat like lard or Crisco.
>> I've eaten a few of the Trader Joe's tamales, and
>> today I looked at the ingrediants to see what fat
>> they used.
>>
>> I didn't see any fat listed. They do have
>> carragenan, and I suppose that may be what holds
>> the dough together.
>>
>> What exactly is the role of lard in a tamale dough?
>> Does it help hold the dough together? Is it for
>> texture?

> It's for richness and texture, yes. It can be left out, but I don't like
> the result. I'd use oil, if saturated fat is an issue.
>
> (Masa, like polenta, firms up just fine on its own. It doesn't need help
> from lard.)
>
> Serene

A lot of the fat cooks out during steaming (the corn husk soaks it up)

If you leave the fat out of the masa, you might want to use an
extra-greasy filling, otherwise the tamales will probably taste dry.

I'm trying to figure out a tamale filling to use now that DD has gone a
little stricter towards vegetarianism. (she eats fish and shellfish,
but not much. Eggs, meat, and dairy are OK) She used to eat chicken,
and I made tamales with chicken filling and used goose fat in the masa.
I think she might eat wild game if it was available but I'm not sure.

Maybe black beans, onions, and portabello mushrooms? Or that nasty
black corn fungus you buy in expensive little cans at the Mexican store?
(a little of that probably goes a long way) Shark meat chili might be
interesting...

Bob