Posted to alt.food.wine
Dick N Dick N is offline

Default 75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux

On May 20, 9:23*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from a lunch with Albert Givton in Vancouver – fascinating and
> informative as always!
> The wines were served blind.
>
> 2003 Flora Springs Chardonnay Select Cuvee (Napa) – showing some
> colour, a full, sweet fruity nose, full bodied, smooth and fairly soft
> but with enough acidity to finish cleanly. *It showed more oak in the
> nose with time in the glass. Attractive.
>
> 2003 Comte de Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre – lighter in colour and
> with an interesting almost grapefruit nose, lacking the oak of the
> previous wine. Soft, with low acid, it was pleasant but had less
> definition than I’d have liked. *Had oak, which again made its
> presence known only after a bit of time, but of course much more
> restrained. *Had it been better balanced I’d have liked it much more.
>
> 1975 Malartic Lagraviere – I have always been a good fan of this hard
> difficult vintage, which produced two kinds of wines, those with
> enough fruit to outlast the tannins and those without. * Mature claret
> nose with slight warmth, surprisingly juicy entry, finishing with very
> little tannin left. *Decent wine, and an amazing showing from this
> producer.
>
> 1975 Pape Clement – unfortunately this bottle was musty and probably
> corky, given that the fruit was so low. Lean and acidic. *I’ve had
> this before and it was much better.
>
> 1975 Dom. de Chevalier – this wine was showing absolutely nothing in
> the nose, at least to me, but on palate was well balanced and mellow.
> That makes one hit, one miss and one in the middle for the vintage on
> that day.
>
> 1975 Chappelet Carbernet (Napa) – I love old style mature California
> cabernets so I was really enjoying this part of the tasting. An
> interesting sweetish nose but with a pronounced earthy component, the
> wine mature and well balanced, showing obvious age with a bit of soft
> tannin remaining and a persistent finish.
>
> 1980 Chappelet Cabernet Signature (Napa) – again, a sweet warm earth
> sort of nose, and an elegant wine with good flavour definition and
> excellent length.
>
> 1976 Ridge Monte Bello Cabernet – made from 100% cabernet in a drought
> year, I’m sure this one was a challenge to the wine maker. *It was
> finished at 12.7% (so much for the modern theory that it needs to be
> nearly 15% to be ‘right’) *An excellent strongly fruity nose, then
> lots of up front acidity, good concentration and good length. *I have
> seen reviews that panned this wine. *All I can say is that they didn’t
> taste this bottle!
>
> 1982 Gruaud Larose – anything less from Bordeaux might have gotten
> lost against the Monte Bello, but this stood its ground and made no
> excuses. *Big dark wine with a ripe warm nose or plum and a bit of
> blood, and later quite a bit of cocoa, what I’d call a bright entry,
> welcoming you into the wine, and admirable concentration in the
> [...]

Hi Bill, these look amazing...do you have these in your cellar or do
you aquire them long after release. Just curious. I started my
collection about 1982...so mine are not nearly as old...and I rarely
have the patience to allow to mature fully. That said, since I am
drinking less now but still aquiring good vintages I will allow many
to continue to age. I think my oldest are some 1982 and 1983 Chat
Margaux