Mark Lipton

Default Decanter Cleaning?

Cwdjrx _ wrote:

> In the US, there is a commercial product called CLR that often will
> remove many calcum-lime-rust types of stains(hence the name). It can
> clean up coffee pots that can become very stained. It is widely
> available in some home improvement stores and supermarkets. Be sure to
> read the instructions carefully. It contains glycolic,sulfamic, and
> citric acids as well as surfactants. If it works, it works fairly fast
> and long contact is not suggested for most surfaces. I have used it on
> coffee pots and a rust stain on a bath tub, but not on a decanter yet.
> This might be a good last resort if milder cleaning methods fail and you
> can not justify the expense of professional polishing.

IIRC, you've quite knowledgable about chemistry, so forgive me if I state
the obvious: the CLR is designed to remove inorganic salts through
chelation and probably won't do much on the presumably organic residue left
in a decanter. The surfactants might possibly help loosen the deposits,
but then so too would alcohol or soap.

Mark Lipton