Mark Lipton

Default Decanter Cleaning?

The Ranger wrote:

> I'd first thought of using bleach (a tsp.) and letting it set for 30-60
> minutes, then rinsing it "forever." I'm just not convinced that I'd be able
> to remove the bleach with enough certainty. [<shrug> Over-paranoia, I know.]

Not really paranoia at all. The chlorine smell is *very* hard to totally
remove. However, if you've got access to winemaking supplies, you can rinse
with a solution of sodium metabisulfite, which will quench the bleach and
eliminate all traces of it. Having said that, I'd still be wary of using
bleach and opt instead for peroxide solution, again rinsing first with
metabisfulite and then with distilled water.

Mark Lipton
Paranoiac chemophobe -- not!