Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Scones : What should the texture be?

"Goro" > wrote in message
> Seems like everywhere I go these days, they are offering scones and
> they are often quite different, varying from bready to cake to almost
> a cookie. And almost all scones are very sweet and served plain.
> Rarely do i find a biscuity scone, which is what I most associate to a
> scone (served with Devon cream and/or jam).
>
> So, what do most people here consider as the "way scones are supposed
> to be"?

My recipe if it is any help:

Rich Fruit Scones

8oz SR flour
half teasp salt
1 ½ oz lard
1 tablesp sugar
2 tablesp currants or sultanas
1 egg. (best but put aside one tablesp for tops)
Milk to make a soft dough

Mid the flour and salt in basin and rub the butter with the finger tips
until it looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar and the currants. Then
stir in with knife enough beaten egg and milk to make a soft dough.

Handle very gently. Pat out gently into a round about half and inch thick
and cut out shapes preferred

Place on greased baking sheet and brush over the tops with the beaten egg.
Bake in hot oven 425o- 450 F about 10 minutes

Instead of fruit you may make them plain or with grated cheese

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/