Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Scones : What should the texture be?

Goro wrote:

> Seems like everywhere I go these days, they are offering scones and
> they are often quite different, varying from bready to cake to almost
> a cookie. And almost all scones are very sweet and served plain.
> Rarely do i find a biscuity scone, which is what I most associate to a
> scone (served with Devon cream and/or jam).
>
> So, what do most people here consider as the "way scones are supposed
> to be"?
>
> thx
> -goro-

Scones shouldn't be as soft and doughy as the average American biscuit;
it has a more substantial crumb. A good scone won't be the least bit
'cake'-like and certainly nothing like a 'cookie'. Doesn't need to be
particularly sweet either, although it's common enough.