Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default a beautiful name

Space Cowboy > writes:

> Young Hyson is the pidgin for the chinese characters 雨前 熙春 yuqian
> xichun. In the Chinese stores Ive seen 'Eastern Beauty' more than
> 'Oriental Beauty' as an English description.

雨前 (before the rains) and 熙春 (something like "splendid springtime")
both show up in Chinese tea parlance. But if you google for 雨前熙春 as
a single entity, you'll basically come up empty.[1] So if Young Hyson
really is a transliteration of those Chinese characters, then those
early Western tea traders must have been more clueless than I imagined.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
[1]You'll see some bogus hits with commas between the second and third
characters.