Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin[_3_] Lin[_3_] is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

George Shirley wrote:

> I'm not doubting your pork supplier's idea that hogs eat grass but, in
> over thirty years of raising hogs I never saw one eat grass like a
> grazing animal. They always rooted up the roots and ate them and left
> the grass alone. They will also eat anything they can catch and kill,
> including snakes and small mammals, carrion, etc. Free range hogs in
> East Texas are called "piney woods rooters" for a reason.

Yes, George you are correct. I've got the words "grass fed" etched into
my mind with all the animals these days. What he says about his
livestock: "Our hogs are on a quality grain nutritionally designed for
hogs."

They are a working ranch and also raise Angus beef, Yorkshire an
Hampshire hogs, and Dorset and Hampshire sheep. He's carried goat a
couple of times.

> We used to eat fresh bacon when we butchered the hogs in the fall, cut
> it thick and fry it in a large cast iron skillet. Pretty good stuff.

Bob and I were just looking at the side pork trying to decide how to
prepare it. Right now bacon and eggs this Mothers Day sounds pretty good.

--Lin