Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

On 5/8/2010 8:28 PM, Lin wrote:
> Today at the farmers market I also picked up a pound of fresh side pork.
> As it was explained to me it's bacon without the curing and salt. The
> slices/strips are thick and very lean -- almost like carnitas. Bob and I
> talked about the things we can do with it (and after googling it, it
> seems to be highly sought after) and wondered what others would do. This
> guy that we get the pork from seems to specialize in organic, low-fat,
> but highly flavorful grass fed pork products. His breakfast sausage is
> easily 90% or more lean, but the taste is amazing. He's getting a patent
> on his process and seasonings.
>
> Someone in the neighborhood is BBQing and that triggered the fresh side
> pork thoughts.
>
> --Lin

I'm not doubting your pork supplier's idea that hogs eat grass but, in
over thirty years of raising hogs I never saw one eat grass like a
grazing animal. They always rooted up the roots and ate them and left
the grass alone. They will also eat anything they can catch and kill,
including snakes and small mammals, carrion, etc. Free range hogs in
East Texas are called "piney woods rooters" for a reason.

We used to eat fresh bacon when we butchered the hogs in the fall, cut
it thick and fry it in a large cast iron skillet. Pretty good stuff.