Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:11:35 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Lin wrote:
>>
>> Jinx Minx wrote:
>>
>> > I ate side pork often growing up. It was cheap then and still is around
>> > here, but probably not as good of quality as you found today. We used to
>> > just pan fry it like bacon and serve it with mashed potatoes and milk gravy.
>> > Simple food, but fond memories.

>> Did you fry it in additional butter with salt? It's what was suggested
>> to me since it's so lean. Seems to defeat the lower-fact aspects of the
>> meat.

>Lean? Side pork? Paraphrasing _The_Simpsons_,
>the only thing with more fat is fat.

Side pork when cured and smoked becomes bacon... some season slices
and fry it in lieu of bacon. I'd not buy it in quantity, fresh side
pork doesn't keep well. Side pork is relatively inexpensive so it's
common to grind it with leaner pork cuts to make sausage... can also
be diced, fried crisp, and added to rice dishes.

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t.../side-pork.asp