Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2010 19:06:39 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Sounds like we'll need more than a pound!

> I was going to say that a pound is somewhat small. Usually they
> only come in the whole slab (boneless is about 4 pounds). But not
> when it's $5/lb I guess.

At the nearby Asian market, they slice it very thinly
and label it as "black pork for shabu-shabu". You can
buy a half-pound pre-packaged or buy it at the meat counter
in any reasonable size you ask for.

I forgot what they charge for it, but I kept my eye on the
pre-packaged display and saw one package that was priced
unusually low due to a measurement error while weighing.
I tried to use it a few different ways. Fried a little
bit, looked up "shabu-shabu" and tried a similar
process, but I wasn't impressed with it at all.
Bland fatty pork, and if black pigs are any different
from white pigs, I can't tell the difference.
It's like the "Angus beef" scam.