Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

Lin wrote:

> Today at the farmers market I also picked up a pound of fresh side pork.
> As it was explained to me it's bacon without the curing and salt. The
> slices/strips are thick and very lean -- almost like carnitas. Bob and I
> talked about the things we can do with it (and after googling it, it
> seems to be highly sought after) and wondered what others would do. This
> guy that we get the pork from seems to specialize in organic, low-fat,
> but highly flavorful grass fed pork products. His breakfast sausage is
> easily 90% or more lean, but the taste is amazing. He's getting a patent
> on his process and seasonings.
>
> Someone in the neighborhood is BBQing and that triggered the fresh side
> pork thoughts.

So far, I've come up with:

Skewered, grilled, and served with peanut sauce
Teriyaki
Stir-fried with bell peppers, then sauced with orange juice, garlic, and
cilantro
Incorporated into paella
Maple-glazed and roasted, with onions[1]
Pan-cooked with parmesan-egg-lemon sauce
Vanilla-brined, cooked on a Silpat, and served as a variation on eggs
benedict, using a cream sauce rather than hollandaise
Sweet & sour

Sounds like we'll need more than a pound!

Bob
[1] The onions I have in mind are cut into thick slices and then cooked over
high heat so that the edges are very brown but the interior is still pretty
much raw. I want them to still be a bit crunchy.