Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Okra

On 5/6/2010 11:44 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:34:34 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ranée at Arabian > wrote in message
>>> In >,

>>> That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
>>> with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
>>> a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
>>> it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>> I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
>> soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
>> is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
>> the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

Try the purple okra sometime Susan, very pretty. The flowers are yellow
just like other okra but with a purple/burgundy cusp and the plant is
purple too. The fruit is purple but cooks up green. Makes a startling
contrast with the green in most gardens.