Posted to rec.food.cooking
lil abner lil abner is offline

Default Okra

gloria.p wrote:

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.
Boiled okra is not something most people would want. It does really make
a gumbo though.
Coated in corn meal and deep fried in Lard is good stuff.
In soups as gumbo it is good and contributes much flavor.
I don't care for the stuff in the frozen freezer section.
Fresh and at peak, not over ripe and tough is as always best.imo