Joe Beppe Rosenberg

Default Old Zins & Chards was 1980 Yquem, 49 Bordeaux, 1934 Riesling....

Had the 77 Anniversary Zin from Mirrasou twice in the last 3 years--still
holding up very well. If I recall the Harvest bottling had a tad more oak
aging. Also had the 1969 Dedication bottling PN made for Mirassou by
Chalone's Richard Watson, still drinking well in its gracious decline.

In general speaking of Zins the high alcoholic monsters of the mid to late
70's have held up quite well in time; extensive research in the mid 80's
revealed that the best chards from the mid 70's where not the oak-monster
Chalones and Robert Young vineyards but the more restrained Montelena &
Freemark Abbey and also Stony Hill. Any opinions on this from more recent
experiences??????

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Bill Spohn" > wrote in message
> >That 1976 Caymus PN was always a favourite--Charlie Wagner sold me my

bottle
> >after I tasted it--never equated the wine with Burgundy--I viewed it as a
> >full bore testicular California red wine--others in California have made
> >Burgundian pinot noir but none with all the richness & charm of this

> I suppose the intervening years have mellowed this wine - perhaps had it

not