Dick R.

Default OT: cars, etc. (was Sassicaia Notes)

Cwdjrx _ wrote:
> In my youth after finishng graduate school and having a job for a while,
> I splurged on a Z-option 1963 Corvette.

<snip>
63 Corvette – brings back memories. When I was in USAF basic training
in 1962, all I could think of was purchasing a 1963 Corvette Coupe. As it
turned out, my mother convinced me that I should purchase a more practical
car. I purchased a 63 Impala with a 409 (340HP, hydraulic lifters,
close-ratio 4-speed with 2:20 low, 3:70 positraction). It was very fast
– for the first 2 city blocks – after which, a friend with a 425HP 409
would finally catch up. I discovered the importance of torque. I could
burn rubber from a standing start in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. God that was
fun! Never did purchase a Corvette, and now in my senior years, I think
more about luggage space. I still have a fun car in the garage – an 84
Mercury Capri (version of the Mustang GT.) It’s a 5 liter, 5 speed,
and very fun to drive. But, when I go wine shopping, I’ll bring the van!
Thanks for a trip down memory lane,
Dick