Old 05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Bill Spohn

Default Gruaud Larose Vertical

You had 9 bottles of wine (one magnum) in one evening?!!!? Please can I come
to your next dinner!!!
(please tell me it was more than just 4 of you there)

Yup - there were 10 of us.

We usually plan on a bottle per person, taken over a 4 hour span as a maximum
sensible intake....usually split unevenly between serious taster (read - me)
and designated driver (read she-who-must-be-obeyed).

Only problem is that we get to the end of a dinner and if we have had enough,
we put the final wine, often a vintage Port, back in the cellar. We've done
this 2 or 3 times this year so far, but we don't seem to be able to cut the
wine with the main course by one bottle, because there are always so many
interesting comparisons to be made.

I am way behind on my notes - I've been doing something every day this week
except Thurs., and they have been great events - vertical Dominus, 1934
Riesling, 1955 Port........I hope to get time to do more notes on the weekend
(I have an event tonight and tomorrow night, so hesitate to promise).

'Tis the season, I guess....

Notes on a bunch of 83 Bordeaux will get posted tonight for sure, though!