Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Drouhin St Veran, Voge Cornas

Last night, with a light dinner of soup and bread, I opened:

2008 Joseph Drouhin St. Veran
nose: initially, burnt matchstick and toast; with time, showing mineral,
lemon and tart apple
palate: medium body, modestly oaky, firmly acidic

I'd purchased this wine for a party for our students, then failed to
open it until last night. It started out too cold at fridge temp, but
became far more appealing after warming to cellar temperature. Not as
deeply fruited as the '07, but still a good QPR Chardonnay. $17
purchased locally.

Tonight, with BBQ ribs, cole slaw, beans and beans, Jean requested a N
Rhone Syrah, so I came back with:

2000 Alain Voge Cornas "Vielles Vignes"
nose: dark berry fruit, smoked meat, stones
palate: medium body, fully resolved tannins, acidity

This wine had also been purchased locally a few years ago, and CT notes
indicated that it was probably ready to go. Indeed, this wine seems
unlikely to get any better than it is today, though it will probably
develop more tertiary characteristics with more bottle age. Very, very
good Cornas, if not quite up to the level of Verset or Clape. Not a
great match with the BBQ, either.

Mark Lipton