Dana Myers

Default OT: cars, etc. (was Sassicaia Notes)

Bill Spohn wrote:
>>It's
>>like Bill's British cars in spirit. It sure doesn't hold much wine, though;
>>two cases basically is all the trunk is good for.

> I've managed 17 bottles in the boot of a 1962 MGA Coupe coming back from Napa,

Well, that's rather impressive since you were driving from Napa to Vancouver,
you probably had things like, um, clothing and such.

> and 8 cases in a Jensen Interceptor, although with that load she was riding
> pretty close to the Plimsoll line, and had to take care to avoid potentially
> damaging objects in the road - like pebbles, cigarette packages on
> edge.........

Wow. 8 cases. I've done 4 in the Mazda once; two in the boot (comfortably)
and two on the passenger seat/floor. Didn't have a problem with ground clearance,
though.

> Damned Lamborghini is only good for a couple of cases, and then only if you
> take the wine out first, or put them behind the seats!

Heh.

> A blown Miata sounds interesting. I will have to replace my street vehicle one
> of these days soon (it is 15 years old) and was thinking about a Honda S2000 or
> a 90s Corvette - obviously not worrying about cargo capacity.

S2000 is quite nice, as is a 90s Vette. I bought the Miata on a bit of a
whim, and never expected to modify it. Oh well, that went out the window.
The 6 psi Jackson Racing kit was an easy afteroon bolt-on kit and works
very well, though I'd suggest adding the water injection kit even at 6 psi
boost if you have to live on 91 octane fuel like I do in CA. Of course,
the water injection kit is not CARB-certified and is thus an "off-road"
only item, but the supercharger kit is CARB-certified. I don't know the
smog inspection rules in B.C., though. Certainly I would not take the
Miata in for smog inspection in California with the H2O injection
installed.

I've driven both the S2000 and the '02 Miata SE. Both have excellent
handling. The S2000 might be a tad better. It does make a lot of power
but, just like the stock Miata, you need to drive it like it's stolen to
really get the benefit. Of course, I find myself driving my blown Miata
like it's stolen, old habits die hard.

If you're going to the muscle route, a Corvette with a Vortech
or Kenne-Bell supercharger is interesting...

Dana