Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roy[_2_] Roy[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberries?

On Apr 29, 7:19*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:54:34 GMT, Benji Z-Man >
> wrote:
>
> >As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
> >packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.

> >Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
> >to defrost some, and use them in the serving.

> >They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
> >unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
> >relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...

> >My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
> >consider it a bad brand and try another?

> Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
> perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.

==
I am very thankful for the wild blueberries that grow on my farm. I
find that picking them is hard on my back but the flavor from wild
blueberries beats the domestic ones 10 to 1. Lately I've had to watch
for bears so won't pick alone and usually leave the car radio going
full blast to deter them. Never used to have that problem before but
don't want to fight them for food or territory if I can help it.
==