Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_3_] Damaeus[_3_] is offline

Default Adding Gluten to All-Purpose Flour

In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' >
posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:42:53 -0500 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I've got some all-purpose flour and I also have some gluten. Could I
> > get similar results adding some gluten to the all-purpose flour for
> > baking bread? How much would one need to add?

> Similar to what?

French bread.

> Bread was baked for a very long time by home bakers before anyone ever
> heard of bread flour, high protein flour, or any of the myriad types of
> flour on the supermarket shelves today.

Yeah, that's what I thought...and either their bread was crappy, though
nobody complained because it was better than going hungry...or somehow
they made bread just as good from all-purpose flour and today's bakers
just take the easy way out by baking with special varieties of flour. I've
got no problem with shopping for flour, but I'd rather stick to
all-purpose because I have a huge tub I keep it in that makes it easy to
scoop out what I need without making a mess over even a large canister.

> I bake white bread with all purpose flour. I bake whole wheat bread
> with a mixture of whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and some vital
> wheat gluten if I think about including it.

I'll be happy with white bread for now. heh

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"