Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking
Gerry[_3_] Gerry[_3_] is offline

Default Escolar

On 2010-04-24 18:50:39 -0700, Omelet said:

> In article >,
> So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> similar side effect to Olestra?
>
> I mean really?

It tastes good--or so it's said. I wouldn't know. The first time I
was offered it under one of it's camoflage names , "white tun" if
memory serves, I had already heard about it's bonus effects.

"You want some white tuna?"
"Isn't that escolar?", I asked.
"Yeah" the sushi chef said.
"Is it good?"
"A lot of people like it", he said.
"How about you. Do you eat it?"
"No," he said looking away. "No I wouldn't eat it."
"I think I'll have the saba."
"Okay."

I've had a similar conversation with three chefs like that. I didn't
know any of theese guys when these chats took place. As for my regular
sushi chefs over the years, some 5 or 6, not one has ever offered it
for sale that I know of; not to me or to others that I'm aware of. Not
one. In all candor, that's the main reason I avoid it.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.