Melba's Jammin'

Default Tips for making pasta?

In article >, "TonyK"
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday
> presents. Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.
>
> Anyone got any tips? I assume you work as quickly as you can moving
> down the thicknessess as you go etc. What about mixes, ie. flour to
> egg ratio etc?

> TIA
>
> Tony

I use 1 egg to 1 cup all purpose flour, plus water.
Mix the flour and egg/s in a food processor until it's mealy-looking,
then dribble in water until it starts looking like couscous and can be
*pressed* together to look like dough. Press it all together into a
ball and let it rest, covered, for a least 30 minutes. It will be very
stiff dough. Cut off a piece and roll it out to about 1/8" thickness
before passing through pasta machine rollers. Roll to desired thinness
then pass through cutter blades.

I am partial to my way of doing this because I make dried egg noodles
every winter to last the year. The very stiff dough at the outset means
that the noodles dry fast for long term storage. I don't use the
machine to make long spaghetti noodles -- I use DeCecco.

Working "as quickly as you can" is not a concern. (Why did you think it
would be? Color me Curious)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.