Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair
Elmo[_2_] Elmo[_2_] is offline

Default What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:28:08 -0400, mm wrote:

> Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent.
> That's the way they did it on tv.

Here, for posterity, are some of the cola recipes I found today.
I'm not sure which one to pick because many use exotic ingredients.
I want simple; but with a kick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola
* 2.00 mL olive oil
* 3.50 mL orange oil
* 1.00 mL lemon oil
* 1.00 mL nutmeg oil
* 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil
* 0.25 mL coriander oil
* 0.25 mL neroli oil
* 2.75 mL lime oil
* 0.25 mL lavender oil
* 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener)
* 3.00 mL water

http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
1 oz Citrate Caffeine 30 lbs. Sugar
3 oz Citric Acid 4 oz fluid extract from cocoa leaves
1 oz Ext. Vanilla 2.5 gal.Water
1 Qt. Lime Juice Caramel - sufficient
2.5 oz Flavourings where you choose one of those below:
80 drops Oil Orange 40 drops Oil Cinnamon
120 drops Oil Lemon 20 drops Oil Coriander
40 drops Oil Nutmeg 40 drops Oil Neroli
1 Qt Alcohol

http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
2.4 kg Sugar, dissolved in the minimum of water 3.1 g Caffeine
37 g Caramel 11 g Phosphoric Acid
1.1 g Decocainized Coca Leaf 0.37 g Kola Nuts
30 g Lime Juice 19 g Glycerine (vegetarian)
1.5 g Vanilla Extract
Flavourings (7X formula):
0.88 g (1.032 ml) Lemon Oil Trace Lavender Oil
0.47 g (0.557 ml) Orange Oil Trace Neroli Oil
0.20 g (0.190 ml) Cassia Oil 4.9 g 95% Alcohol
0.07 g (0.077 ml) Nutmeg Oil 2.7 g (2.7 ml) Water
Trace Coriander Oil

http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wor...e-cola-recipe/
# Zest of 2 oranges
# Zest of 2 limes
# Zest of 1 lemon
# 2 pinches of ground cinnamon
# 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
# 1 points of a star anise (crushed)
# 1/2 teaspoon of dried lavender flowers
# 1/2 teaspoon cola nuts (crushed ¡V mortar & pestle may be required.
WARNING! Cola nuts can be dangerous and are known to be carcinogenic, use
at your own risk -Wiki Article)
# 10g stem ginger
# 1/3 vanilla pod with the seeds scraped out and added as well
# 1/4 teaspoon citric acid

http://coffeetea.about.com/gi/o.htm?...most_Coke.html
2 T Sugar
1 t Vanilla
1/4 t Cinnamon
1 t Bottled Lime Juice
1 C Club Soda

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ola78603.shtml
1/4 cup cold black coffee
2 teaspoons Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sugar or artificial sweetener
1/2 pinch black pepper
Club soda

http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm
1/4 c. cold black coffee
2 t. Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 t. vanilla extract
1 level t. sugar or artificial sweetener
few grains of black pepper

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html
32 fluid ounces caramel
32 fluid ounces lime juice
16 fluid ounces glycerin
12 fluid ounces 95% alcohol
12 fluid ounces Cola Flavor Base (recipe below)
Caffeine solution (2 ounces caffeine in 10 fluid ounces water)
2 fluid ounces vanilla extract

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harp...made_Cola.html
1/4 C cold black coffee
2 t Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 t vanilla extract
1 level t sugar or artificial sweetener
few grains of black pepper

etc.

It's amazing the list of ingredients in these open source colas!
I wonder which are the key ingredients that give coca cola its kick???