John Taverner

Default TN claret SFWS Nov tasting

Hello everyone.
OT, still haven't moved, hope for next week, bloody lawyers and bloody
English law.
Is it as bad in Canada, Bill?

Last night a very interesting tasting, blind as usual. All cellared by
Jeremy since release.

Potensac 96, slight purple edge, young spice cab nose, perfumed. Soft and
good fruit, spice, not long, a luncheon claret

Potensac 89, hint of brown, a bit dull, rather mean cedar and dust nose,
soft, tannins almost gone, spice and fruit. Drink up.

Angludet 89, bright, good extract, hint of brown, soft feminine spicy nose,
complex. Let down on palate, soft no tannin, short. Drink up.

Potensac, 86, a deep wine, no browning. old dusty cooked claret nose, fish
and chips and vinegar. Mean and gone on palate. Drink up or give to an
enemy.

La Tour Pibran, 86, identical notes to the Potensac 86.........dying

Potensac 83, bright and viscous, nose like the above, but rather nice on the
palate, soft, still fruit, short. Not dead yet.

Angludet 82, a different league, deep++, oodles of extract, great legs,
wonderful ethereal Margaux nose, vegetal and armpits. Soft decadent entry,
fruit and tannins all in balance. So long. Superb......I have none.....buy
it if you can, now and a few years to come.

La Tour Pibrin **61**, very pale but bright, an interesting nose of old
cellars and wet paper, soft and chewy, sweet. short.not dead yet.

La Tour Pibrin **59**, deep with extract, a ruddy-brown edge, bright, this
wine glowed. Wonderful complex old nose, sweet, Amazing softness and still
fruit. Very long. Still very alive.

The last two wines were Wine Society bottlings from Jeremy's youth.

Question for you experts. I believe that old claret was made for a long
life, stalks and all. Modern claret, as above, made for youthful consumption
and then dies.
Do you agree??

BTW, Jeremy has his last bottle of Yquem 1947, we will have it with Fois
Gras at the Society's 25th dinner in January. I will post!!!