Sad Dad

Default Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:06:49 -0600, Clyde Gill > wrote:

>>> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
>>> that to Gallo.

>>I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
>>ignoring their whereabouts.

>Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that you
>would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of wine
>dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest producer in the
>US. But I've been told more than once that I have a wild imagination.
>

>>> On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
>>> in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

>>Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
>>in corks.

>Bottle variation could occur if the TCA was introduced in the bottling
>process, which is one of the more likely sources of contamination,
>given the intricacy and general nature of the operation plus the
>timing of the exposure.
>
>If TCA is introduced to the wine while in bulk (very possible), it
>usually is detected before the bottling process, though it can have a
>nasty tendency to progress with time, especially while *in* the
>bottle.
>
>clyde

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Da...5,2240,00.html

Article states that the likely source was a Chlorine based cleaning
agent used at Gallo's Dry Creek Valley cellar.

It also mentions that the TCA was in the range of 2-6 parts per
trillion for the affected bottles - which Gallo claim is undetectable
by most palates?