Michael Pronay

Default Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

Clyde Gill > wrote:

>>> I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
>>> wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally
>>> unfamiliar to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

>>Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

> NY.

Thank you.

>>and what are its wine brands?

> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
> that to Gallo.

I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
ignoring their whereabouts.

> Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a
>
> Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
> Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and
> beer.
>
> Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
> market.

Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
escapes me.

> On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
> in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
in corks.

M.