Clyde Gill

Default Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

On 6 Nov 2003 16:38:18 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Sam D." > wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
>> wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally unfamiliar
>> to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

>Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

NY.

>and what are its wine
>brands?

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of that
to Gallo.

Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a

Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and beer.

Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
market.

If this type of thing interest you, a good book that describes these
companies and the behind the scenes workings is "The Wrath of Grapes"
by Lewis Purdue. It's a bit dated now, but still interesting.

On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside in the
cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

clyde