Mark Lipton

Default Bordeaux Notes 1982 - 1998

Bill Spohn wrote:

> These wines were served with a red wine braised monkfish, about which I have a
> couple of comments. First, people insist on trying to be au courant by serving
> fish with red wine. IMHO, you can achieve a match that is fairly inoffensive to
> both wine and fish, but it is still, at best, like going to the senior prom
> with your first cousin. The sin was exacerbated in this case by the kitchen's
> apparent inability to cook a piece of fish until it was merely tender. They
> soldiered on until it took on the consistency of chicken. Bad show.

LOL!! Bravo, Bill! I just had a similar experience where our waiter at an
otherwise fine restaurant tried to pawn off a softish Syrah as an accompaniment to
roast monkfish in a tomato/garlic/something sauce. And I have sworn off the
Vancouver Four Seasons as a dining destination...

Great notes, as usual. There were several "old friends" in that lineup. Thanks
for the update.

Mark Lipton