Posted to rec.food.cooking
phaeton phaeton is offline

Default Frozen Bread Dough as pizza crust?

On Apr 3, 8:51*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> phaeton wrote:
> > I have a pretty bad pizza habit, and I was trying to 'cheat' a little
> > the last couple of times by using frozen bread dough for the crust.

> Long ago in the "way back when"....
>
> I was going to college in Wisconsin and was broke. *A local bread
> factory (Elm Tree Bakers) had a retail store and they sold bags of
> frozen bread dough.... 10 loaves for $1. *Small cans of tomato sauce
> were also 10 for $1 at the Piggly Wiggly and there were at least a half
> dozen local cheese places and one of them usually had mozzarella on
> sale... cheap.
>
> Used to make a home made pizza for under 50 cents. *When you only had
> $10 to spend on food for a week, that was a great deal.
>
> George L

That sounds awesome, George. Where in Wisconsin, which school, and
what was your major?

I just checked, my oven will go to 550F.

I'm preparing another 'crust' for tomorrow. I'll mash it down a
little thinner, coat it with olive oil, and bake it at 550. We'll see
how it goes.

Nancy: I've never seen frozen pizza dough. Refrigerated, yes (which
sucks, IMHO) but not frozen. In theory I could just make some regular
bread dough with flour/yeast/water/sugar etc. I've done that before
and it's alright, but as I said, I'm trying to cheat a little here.

-J