Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Frozen Bread Dough as pizza crust?

phaeton wrote:
> On Apr 2, 10:37 pm, Christopher Helms > wrote:

>> I don't think it's the dough itself. It sounds like 1. you might have
>> the temp too low, 2. you're not leaving it in the oven long enough. 3.
>> your oven's calibration might be out of whack or 4. your dough is too
>> thick. There are a lot of reasons a pizza dough might not get done
>> towards the middle but too low a temperature would be my first
>> suspicion. When I make my own I always go with a pre-heated 400 degree
>> oven for 25 minutes or so, but that's me and I'm not a fan of really
>> thick crusts. I never tried it with one of those frozen bread dough
>> things but I can't imaging that being the problem. In fact, it might
>> be a good time saver.

> I forgot to mention that I'm baking at 350F

I think the main problem is the crust is too thick. Try pressing it
into the pan with your fingertips and get it a lot thinner -- 1/8",
and thinner in some places. The dough might also have conditioners
in it to keep it soft, which is working against you.

I bake my pizzas with the oven set and 425, and my oven runs hot.
It's probably actually 475 or 500. Takes about 12 minutes usually,
when I use bread flour. I made a pizza using all purpose flour and
it took a lot longer to bake (I thought that was kinda weird)

Bob