Richard Periut

Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

(PENMART01) writes:

> [...]

>>to make *Cuban* carne asada, though searching for "carne asada"
>>gives me a million recipes for *Mexican* carne asada, and none for
>>the Cuban version.)
>>
>>Another thing that threw me off is that I thought the eye of round
>>cut was a large boxlike cut, something with the dimensions of a
>>1/2 gallon carton, and which is different from what I recall of my
>>friend's recipe, namely a slenderer, *log-like* cut of meat, closer
>>in dimension to a wine bottle without the neck. Adding to this
>>confusion, there was one search result in which the explicit
>>distinction was made between the "eye of round" cut and "the eye
>>of the round". I interpreted this to mean that Cuban butchers cut
>>out a *part* of what we call "eye of round", and this part is the
>>eye of the round proper.
>>
>>So you see, I did search, but I just got *very* confused!
>>
>>Jill

> OK, again from Nitza Villapol:
>
> Carne asada con naranja
>
> 1 boliche (about 3 pounds)
> 1 tsp meat tenderizer
> 1 large onion
> 1 green pepper
> 2 cloves of garlic
> 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
> 1 sour orange (or juice of three or four limes)
> 6 prunes, no seeds
> 1/4 pound sweet ham, sliced
>
> -------------
>
> 2 slices of bacon
> 1 clove of garlic
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup dry sherry
> 3 or 4 oranges (sweet, not sour)
>
> Clean the boliche, prick with a fork and sprinkle with the meat tenderizer.
> Perforate the meat with a sharp knife, making six holes. Place the prunes
> wrapped in the ham slices.
>
> Prepare a marinade with the mashed garlic, black pepper, sour orange juice.
> Pour over the meat adding the sliced onion and sliced green pepper. Marinate
> for at least 3 hours. It can be done the day before.
>
> Heat a pot and fry the bacon slices until the fat is rendered. Drain the
> boliche and brown in the fat until it is browned. Add the wine and the juice
> of two oranges. Cook well covered at a low heat until it is tender. Add orange
> juice as needed to make sure it does not scorch.
>
> Slice across, half to three quarter inches thick slices. Pour the gravy on
> top.
>
> 8 portions.
>
> This is the second time I post a recipe quoting from Nitza Villapol's book.
> She was a Cuban chef who published her recipes in a book called "Cocina al
> Minuto". This book has been translated into English and you can probably find
> it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
> under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
> it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?
>
> If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
> After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.

Yes, she certainly was the Julia Childs of Cuba. She died a couple of
years ago in Cuba. And yes, the book was published with out her (eh hem,
Castro's) permission ; )

The black beans are the best variation I've ever had. Ths sugar and
vinegar I think is what makes the dish better. However, I don't go
through the initial process of softening the beans; I take the first two
step, and incorporate them in one by using the pressure cooker. Comes
out just as good.

Saludos,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991