Posted to alt.food.barbecue
piedmont piedmont is offline

Default Citrus wood running out of my ears...

On 3/22/2010 4:49 PM, Dave Bugg wrote:
> JeffH wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 6:03 pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> Fats just wants to burn logs down to coals. He isn't into charcoal
>>> making.

>> Not sure what I'm missing here - so he'd just have a pile of wood and
>> burn it. Wood burns down to coals. No? Why a special rig to do it
>> then?

> The oldest methods to do bbq will take raw wood, and burn it down to coals
> (you ever see the glowing red embers in a fireplace fire or in a campfire?).
> Once you get a buncha coals in the fire, you grab 'em with a shovel and put
> them in the pit. In some municipalities, they don't want people to build big
> ol' campfires on the front lawn, due to the risk of spreading fire.
> Something like a burn-pit to contain the fire and help control sparks is a
> plus. At my place, I can dig a burn pit and not have the fire department
> breathing down my neck.

This isn't for you Dave, as I assumed you are aware of this, just posted
for others to learn,
There is a simple 'pit' made out of a 55 gallon barrel, open top, rebar
run through about 2/3's down spaced about 3 inches apart, then cut out a
hole in the side, near the bottom, simply burn logs in barrel on rebar,
as it burns down the coals fall through and then you shovel out what you
need,

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r