Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Citrus wood running out of my ears...

JeffH wrote:
> On Mar 18, 6:03 pm, "Brick" > wrote:
>
>> Fats just wants to burn logs down to coals. He isn't into charcoal
>> making.

> Not sure what I'm missing here - so he'd just have a pile of wood and
> burn it. Wood burns down to coals. No? Why a special rig to do it
> then?

The oldest methods to do bbq will take raw wood, and burn it down to coals
(you ever see the glowing red embers in a fireplace fire or in a campfire?).
Once you get a buncha coals in the fire, you grab 'em with a shovel and put
them in the pit. In some municipalities, they don't want people to build big
ol' campfires on the front lawn, due to the risk of spreading fire.
Something like a burn-pit to contain the fire and help control sparks is a
plus. At my place, I can dig a burn pit and not have the fire department
breathing down my neck.

--
Dave