Leichtman

Default '99 Silver Oak Alexander Valley

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Leichtman wrote:
>

> > It was as wonderful as ever. Only new restaurant was Swig which serves
> > mostly asian tapas. Everyone seems to have gotten on the tapas craze. El
> > Encanto which serves food from central Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca,
> > Puelba and Merida is also a new one for me.

> Me too. You sure you mean Mérida? It's in the Yucatan, not central MX.
> Sounds
> good, regardless. I'll make a note to try it the next time we're there.
>
> > <SNIP great list of restos>

> Last time we were there, we had a great meal at Geronimo. Anasazi and
> Santacafe I
> am less enthusiastic about (but still good).
>
> Thanks very much for such a thorough description. I almost feel as if I had
> been
> there (and I've resolved to go next year). I am a bit worried, though, that
> the
> foreign contingent there seemed less interesting. Personally, I think that
> some
> of the best matches for Southwestern cooking don't come from the US (Alsace,
> the
> Loire and NZ f'rinstance).
>
> Mark Lipton

Yeah Merida did yucatectan barbecue in banana leaves. I know it's not
central Mexico but certainly truly a Mexican cuisine. I too was
disappointed in the quality of non-American wines there. Only very large
wine groups that showed almost anything even though not related to each
other such as a company exhibiting wines from New Zealand Spain and
France together with none being particualrly memorable. Sherry was well
represented this time with Gonzalez Byass, Lustau and Tio Pepe all
represented. Grahams, Warre, Quinto de Noval, Taylor and Broadbent all
had representative ports as well. I went to a class on tapas and
sherries and had an example of every sherry type including palo cortado
which I had never tasted. The tapas were great too from El Farol.

--
Lawrence G. Leichtman, MD
Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center