Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Making a lattice pie crust - instructions

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> > Sounds really good! Got a recipe?

> No, I just made it up as I went along. I suppose whenever I do cook
> something, I should start keeping track of exactly how much of everything
> I put into it so when it turns out good, I can actually enter the recipe
> in Mastercook or something. When I cook, I tend to just go by taste
> instead of following a recipe, even if it's my own, original stuff.
>
> So I don't have any proportions. I just know I put in pears, sugar,
> filtered water, a stick of butter, buttershots, salt to taste. Then,
> after the pears were tender, I made a cornstarch slurry and started adding
> it until it was thick enough that it looked like it would hold together in
> a piping hot, finished pie. Then I think I remember letting it cool off
> so I could bake the pie with a raw crust without an already boiling hot
> pie filling. Then I probably baked it at 375 degrees (cuz it's a nice,
> middle-of-the-road temperature) until the crust looked done. I never even
> had to use my pie crust rings I got for being able to make pumpkin pie
> without burning the crust around the edges.
>
> My pie holds together better than the frozen cobblers and pies from Mrs.
> Smith. Cut her pies and the filling immediately avalanches into the
> bottom of the pan. Mine didn't do that. It was pie, not a casserole.
>
> Damaeus

That is the way most of us cook. :-) I, too, have been trying to track
down what I do when something turns out well. Either that or I just type
up what I put in it and don't put proportions. Since most people here do
that, it's been acceptable for the most part.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: