Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Making a lattice pie crust - instructions

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Mon, 15
Mar 2010 01:50:47 -0600 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I swear, the most rewarding pie I ever baked was a pear pie I made using
> > pears I picked off our own tree, going homemade all the way. The crust,
> > and the stewed pears. I had just enough cornstarch in the filling to keep
> > it from running out from between the crusts when cut after a 15-minute
> > cooling. The glaze formed from the liquid had a perfect thickness that
> > coated my tongue without feeling sticky and without feeling like a mouth
> > full of drool. I was so happy with it. Oh, I also put a little
> > Buttershots liquer into the filling. I'm sure that helped.
> >
> > Damaeus

> Sounds really good! Got a recipe?

No, I just made it up as I went along. I suppose whenever I do cook
something, I should start keeping track of exactly how much of everything
I put into it so when it turns out good, I can actually enter the recipe
in Mastercook or something. When I cook, I tend to just go by taste
instead of following a recipe, even if it's my own, original stuff.

So I don't have any proportions. I just know I put in pears, sugar,
filtered water, a stick of butter, buttershots, salt to taste. Then,
after the pears were tender, I made a cornstarch slurry and started adding
it until it was thick enough that it looked like it would hold together in
a piping hot, finished pie. Then I think I remember letting it cool off
so I could bake the pie with a raw crust without an already boiling hot
pie filling. Then I probably baked it at 375 degrees (cuz it's a nice,
middle-of-the-road temperature) until the crust looked done. I never even
had to use my pie crust rings I got for being able to make pumpkin pie
without burning the crust around the edges.

My pie holds together better than the frozen cobblers and pies from Mrs.
Smith. Cut her pies and the filling immediately avalanches into the
bottom of the pan. Mine didn't do that. It was pie, not a casserole.

Damaeus