Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default On cheese and wine

> >Last week-end, the worty cvouple celebrated their 22nd anniversary with,
> >amongst other good things, three pieces of cheese watered by a Gewurz VT.

> VG, we celebrated our 25th... congratulations!

Congratulations to all four of us!

> Roquefort and port go wel,
> but do try a top Loire sticky, one of those with balls like Poirel's
> Chateau de Suronde.

Have to admit - I donīt really dig Roquefort all that much - too salty, too
.... I donīt know, sometimes I feel I get blsiters on my tongue .... I much
prefer Epoisse (which, of course, has very little in common with the
Roquefort).

> >We
> >discussed it with the wine waiter who readily admitted that, really, each
> >piece of cheese might be served with its own individual wine.

> You knew that already ;-))

Yea, I knew dat ...

> I will not comment on Emmenthaler, but recent tests with some "hors
> d'age" comte' with Chateauneuf were impressive, and last year the same
> cheese with a really good Vin Jaune from the Jura were stunning.

Notes are being busily taken ...

> Banon (weird goat packed in leaves) is a special case, it all depends
> on the quality and on the aging of the thing ... aging is critical. This

cheese, over a 2
> week period, goes from a mild creamy gentle taste to an intense spicy
> peppery powerful nutty tannic liquid delicious mess.

> Young banon goes well with some of the aromatic southern whites like
> corsican vermentino or some of the rare interesting Provence whites,
> Chateau de Roquefort was magnificent with a 10-day banon. As you turn
> the power up, you need to resort to whites with a lot of character. A
> "dry" white from Macon, domaine de Bongran, had enough structure and
> mellowness to stand up to a 20-day banon. Beyond that we resorted to
> some definitely oxidative whites from Roussillon, and the 2-motnh old
> monster was adequately subdued by a Rivesaltes Ambre' 93 by Cazes.

Pure rocket science, then. I feel that, in order to do something
constructive with this, extended testing is required. Unfortunately very
little Banon available in these dreary and desert lands ...
I wonders if that farm outside Helsingborg that does ecologic goatīs cheese
snd which we are going to taste Nov 25th has anything that could be ... or
else Iīll set up a laboratory enxt time in the deep South (late April).

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se