Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Andy > posted:

> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > Well, I like a hamburger bun toasted in the oven with garlic butter on
> > it. Drop on my pattie, the lettuce, tomato, onions...then if there's
> > no cheese on it, I use mayo. If there is cheese, I use mustard.
> > Don't like the combination of mayonnaise and cheese on the same
> > burger, and a burger that has mustard but no cheese seems naked to me.

> I've never garlic-buttered and baked a burger bun but I've added garlic
> powder to burgers.

I made hamburgers for my sister's family once. They seemed amazed and
remarked about the wonderful flavor. The only thing I did to the
hamburger patty was use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The buns were
buttered with a mixture of softened butter (salted) and garlic powder.
Nothing special there, but garlic does add a lot to a burger's flavor, and
it sure seemed to impress the hell out of them as their eyes rolled back
in their heads with pleasure and delight.

I was shocked when my dad told me I make a "killer pizza". Knowing he
loves meat, I made one with ground beef, black forest ham, bacon, and
Eckrich skinless smoked sausage, which I had cut up and sauteed to get rid
of some of the grease. Normally my dad always had to say my mom was a
better cook, because she was his wife! lol

> My burgers have to have Dijon and American, Jack or Cheddar. Sometimes
> I'll put out little bowls of pesto, guacamole and medium salsa verde (the
> "three greens"), picking and choosing on a bite by bite basis.
>
> For chicken sandwiches it's MiracleWhip, lettuce, no cheese, sometimes
> avocado slices, sometimes dotted with Cholula on whole wheat toast.

Are you talking about the fried chicken patties or chicken deli meat? On
fried chicken sandwiches, whole wheat, mayo, lettuce, tomato. I dunno..
the combination used by Whataburger just works for me, except I think they
do use a white bun, not wheat.

> My "Green Death" tuna sandwiches combined a 12 oz. can of solid-white
> albacore (in water) brought to desired gloppiness with a large Hass
> avocado mashed and a little Miracle Whip, minced celery and shallot,
> served on whole wheat toast with American cheese.

Good grief. Well, on my tuna sandwiches, or on any sandwich, really, I
love to include onion sprouts. Oh man, that adds a whole new dimension to
a sandwich!

> Then there's the grilled cheese, avocado and bacon sandwich. Sometimes
> French toast grilled in Monte Cristo style.

I've never really liked /just/ avocado by itself. But I do make a dip
with avocado, cream cheese, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and
salt to taste, all in a food processor until smooth. If you want to thin
it out some, a little cream or milk can be added.

> PB&Js of course.
>
> Scrambled egg (showered liberally with fresh cracked white pepper) and
> cheese sandwich in between two slices of buttered toast.

I like that on an English muffin. In fact, I like English muffins just
buttered with jelly on them.

> I don't remember it but I was told that I'd combine my mashed potatoes
> and steak and put that between two slices of buttered toast. That only
> worked with the babysitters!

I don't typically like mashed potatoes and bread in the same meal. I also
like my mashed potatoes smooth and fluffy. While boiling potatoes, I keep
cream and a stick of butter on low heat on the side. I put the boiled
potatoes into the stand mixer with a wire whisk and then add the hot cream
and butter. My mashed potatoes are wetter than what I've ever seen in
anybody's restaurant. I've read that overwhipping mashed potatoes can
make them gluey, but that never happens to mine, no matter how long I whip
them. With mine, the longer you whip them, the fluffier they get.

> Philly cheesesteak with fried onions and American cheese only, on a soft
> untoasted Amoroso hoagie roll. If I made it, I'd add avocado! Might as
> well get some good fat along with all the other greasy goodness.

Is that what Philly cheeseteak uses, American cheese? Or is that your
preference? I'll just use whatever cheese I have around, but I do like
using mozzarella for that if I've got some. I do like to make a ham and
cheese sandwich in the oven using simply ham that I've torn and layered
with swirls, then I carefully tuck shredded mozzarella into the curls and
loops in the ham layers. I then put it in the oven, though I can't give a
temperature. I'm still working on a perfect temperature. Probably good
to start with a low temperature, then turn on the broiler for a few second
to give the edges of the ham a little bit of crunch without making the
whole thing tough. After it comes out, I put something on it like some
lettuce, onion, sometimes with some kind of dressing, often without. When
I get subs at Subway, I often get them without dressing, much to the
surprise of the cook.

Damaeus