Al Rudderham

Default Ontario Wines

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:14:04 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>I emailed Chuck privately thinking he was the only member of the ng
>from Ontario and asked him if he knew of any Ontario reds that might
>have the "big" flavour some fo the Aussie and California Cabs and
>Shirazes have. Living here, I thought I should give at least a few a
>try.

In part the issue is more of vintage than which winery. 1998 was a
great year for Ontario reds, and 1999 wasn't to far behind. If you
can find anything of those vintages you're more likely to find "big".
Unfortunately most are gone, or hiding in cellars.

To add to your list, I'm quite fond of Marynissen's reds. They claim
to have planted the first Cabernet Sauvignon in Ontario 25 years ago.
They are quite small, but the LCBO (Vintages) did feature a
Chardonnary and a Cab/Merlot blend in August. Both were lower end
products, not Reserve. You might find some of those around. The
winery is just outside Niagara-On-The-Lake, almost immediately behind
Inniskillin.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)