Dale Williams

Default TN: Birthday Wines

Wednesday was the 43rd anniversary of the first big event in my life, Betsy had
asked whether I would rather go out or have friends in. I opted for dinner at
home with friends, and she invited 9 (luckily one couple only stayed for
appetizers and meeting our new pup, because we could have never gotten 12
people in our tiny dining room).

We started with:
Proscuitto wrapped around figs and gorgonzola, drizzled with a balsamic
reduction
Smoked duck wrapped in lettuce
Eggplant terrine (this was bought at store)
Potatoes topped with sour cream and fish eggs (some with salmon roe, others
"wasabi caviar")

The appetizer wine was the NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne. Definitely on the
light end of the Champagne spectrum. Fine bead, nose has floral notes with a
kind of biscuit edge. Crisp, dry, very nice. B+/A-

At one point ran out and opened the only other sparkler I had cold, the NV
Zardetto Prosecco. Nowhere near the complexity and charm of the Champagne, but
hey, it's a 1/3 the price. Nice fruity bubbly. B

After the one couple headed to back to school night, we crowded around the
dinner table to see what Betsy had wrought. A fine dinner -beef in Barolo,
garlic mashed potatoes, green beans with pancetta, and two separate sautées of
mushrooms- one with lobster, oyster & shimeji 'shrooms, the other with
Chanterelles and white trumpets (I think there was some hen of the woods, but
don't remember in which).

Betsy made a double recipe of the beef in Barolo, and used the only Barolo I
had that was cheap enough to sacrifice most of 2 bottles. But there was about a
cup leftover, and I tried the 1997 Villadoria Barolo. Maybe closer in style to
a Nebbiolo d'Alba than a Barolo, but a pleasant wine. Medium-body, earthy nose
with a touch of flowers. Dark cherry fruit, good acidity for a '97, a lingering
note of Piemonte tar. Not bad at all. B+

As we actually started eating we passed a quartet of Italians:

2000 Seghesio Barbera d'Alba
Ripe raspberry fruit with some balancing acidity (though not very acidic by
Barbera standards), little apparent oak, pleasant wine but without any real
stamp of individuality. B

1997 Ceretto Barolo Zonchera
Seemingly close to maturity, good body and a fair dose of toasty oak. Nose of
roses and tar, good red fruit. A little short on the finish. B/B+

1995 Icardi Parej Barolo
A producer I only really know from their Moscato d'Asti, I'm not sure where I
got this bottle. Initially a little disappointed - somewhat closed and angular.
But some additional airtime (at first pour it had been opened 3 hours, but not
decanted) let some real Barolo character shine through. There's a little hint
of new oak, but there's lots of truffle, tar, and violet aromas. Medium
tannins, dark red fruit (raspberry and black cherry), a little spice note.
Doesn't seem to me to be clearly New Wave or Traditional, but somewhere in the
middle. Tasty. A-

1996 Banfi Brunello
Nobody talks much about the '96 Brunellos, but to me they offer some nice wines
for drinking early. This one is made in a modern style, rich red fruit framed
by some chocolaty oak flavors. It does have balancing acidity, and a good long
finish. B+

We passed a cheese plate including Vermont Shepherds' Shepherd Wheel, Fourme
d'Ambert, Morbier, 4 yr old Gouda, plus two Italian sheepsmilk cheeses that Joe
Bongiorno brought. With those we had:

1990 Pierre Ponnelle "Les Mazoyeres" Charmes-Chambertin
First pour seemed a little hot, with damp earth and candied red fruit. A minor
disappointment. But as we talked into the night some animal and meat notes
emerged. The last glass had a silky texture, with a nice overlay of spice and
woodfloor on the red fruit. Not a profound GC, but pretty good. B+

1999 Pierre-Bise "L'Anclaie" Coteaux du Layon
Sweet honeyed chenin fruit, layers of mineral over a peach and apricot base.
Very very good for the vintage. Not as acidic as some CdL (though there's
plenty there to balance the sugar), I wouldn't try to age this one for that
long. A-

My friend Joe entertained us with stories of his visits this summer to Piemonte
(Bartolo Mascarello being the highlight). None of my Italians this night were
solidly traditional, but that's because the traditional ones all needed more
time. But mostly pleasant wines, great friends, fantastic food, and nothing
corked- not a bad birthday.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre at best. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply