Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Pizza flours

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Kent" > posted:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>
> > Well, what pizza dough did you settle on? I'd like to try it.
> >
> > Myself:
> >
> > 3.5 cups of flour
> > 1 tbsp yeast
> > 1 tbsp baking powder
> > 1 cup of hot water
> > 1/4 cup of melted butter
> > 1 tbsp sugar
> > 3/4-1 tbsp salt

> Your dough is too dry. I use 1.25 cups H20 to 3 cups flour. You need a wet
> dough for pizza, like ciabatta.

If it was any wetter, it would stick to my fingers like biscuit dough.
Plus, the butter has some water in it.

> Too much fat; for 3 cups flour I use 1 TB EVO or none.

It's not "too much fat". I'd say yours has too little fat.

> > Optionally throw in a little basil or oregano and some garlic powder for a
> > little extra flavor in the crust.
> >

> > Do the usual. Put water in mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar, add
> > salt, dissolve, add flour and butter. Mix with a dough hook until it no
> > longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Cover and let it rise for an
> > hour.
> >
> > When rolling it out, I don't use flour on the surface, but olive oil.
> > Smear olive oil on the rolling surface, and in as few movements as
> > possible, roll the dough out to fit the pan. Perforate the dough, then
> > trim to the edge of the pan using the rolling pin for a perfectly round
> > dough.
> >

> You're rolling it on oil???? What are you rolling it on? How do you get
> onto the pizza stone???

I'm rolling it on a Formica counter, and I don't use a pizza stone, but a
pan with holes in it.

> > I find I can sauce, cheese, and top the dough while it's raw, then bake on
> > the bottom rack of the oven at 450 degrees. I let it go for about 13
> > minutes, then I come back and check every minute or so for the nice brown
> > marks to start appearing on the cheese, indiciating it's almost done.
> >
> > Damaeus

> Baking Temp. is too low. Bake at oven's maximum temp. On a well heated stone
> the pizza should be done in 8-9 minutes depending on the toppings.

I put quite a bit on there sometimes. If I baked an "everything" pizza at
600 degrees, it'd probably burn on the edges and be half-cooked in the
middle.

Damaeus