Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default Pizza flours

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Chet > posted:
>
>> Hello
>> I have been a pizza fanatic hobbyist baker over the last few years,
>> I have tried alot of dough recipes and different flours, but during the
>> process of learning to make the dough and trying flours, I finally
>> figured it was learning to make the dough, so now I have that part
>> figured out, I want to stay with a flour where I can use it to make brad
>> along with pizza dough, are the High Gluten flours too strong for both
>> bread and pizza dough in a home oven. was thinking of trying an
>> unbleached type flour, what protein percentages will work best or if
>> someone can recommend a flour that will work best.

> Well, what pizza dough did you settle on? I'd like to try it.
>
> Myself:
>
> 3.5 cups of flour
> 1 tbsp yeast
> 1 tbsp baking powder
> 1 cup of hot water
> 1/4 cup of melted butter
> 1 tbsp sugar
> 3/4-1 tbsp salt

Your dough is too dry. I use 1.25 cups H20 to 3 cups flour. You need a wet
dough for pizza, like ciabatta.
Too much fat; for 3 cups flour I use 1 TB EVO or none.

> Optionally throw in a little basil or oregano and some garlic powder for a
> little extra flavor in the crust.
>

> Do the usual. Put water in mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar, add
> salt, dissolve, add flour and butter. Mix with a dough hook until it no
> longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Cover and let it rise for an
> hour.
>
> When rolling it out, I don't use flour on the surface, but olive oil.
> Smear olive oil on the rolling surface, and in as few movements as
> possible, roll the dough out to fit the pan. Perforate the dough, then
> trim to the edge of the pan using the rolling pin for a perfectly round
> dough.

You're rolling it on oil???? What are you rolling it on? How do you get
onto the pizza stone???

> I find I can sauce, cheese, and top the dough while it's raw, then bake on
> the bottom rack of the oven at 450 degrees. I let it go for about 13
> minutes, then I come back and check every minute or so for the nice brown
> marks to start appearing on the cheese, indiciating it's almost done.
>
> Damaeus

Baking Temp. is too low. Bake at oven's maximum temp. On a well heated stone
the pizza should be done in 8-9 minutes depending on the toppings.

Kent