Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Pizza flours

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Chet > posted:

> Hello
> I have been a pizza fanatic hobbyist baker over the last few years,
> I have tried alot of dough recipes and different flours, but during the
> process of learning to make the dough and trying flours, I finally
> figured it was learning to make the dough, so now I have that part
> figured out, I want to stay with a flour where I can use it to make brad
> along with pizza dough, are the High Gluten flours too strong for both
> bread and pizza dough in a home oven. was thinking of trying an
> unbleached type flour, what protein percentages will work best or if
> someone can recommend a flour that will work best.

Well, what pizza dough did you settle on? I'd like to try it.

Myself:

3.5 cups of flour
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup of hot water
1/4 cup of melted butter
1 tbsp sugar
3/4-1 tbsp salt

Optionally throw in a little basil or oregano and some garlic powder for a
little extra flavor in the crust.

Do the usual. Put water in mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar, add
salt, dissolve, add flour and butter. Mix with a dough hook until it no
longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Cover and let it rise for an
hour.

When rolling it out, I don't use flour on the surface, but olive oil.
Smear olive oil on the rolling surface, and in as few movements as
possible, roll the dough out to fit the pan. Perforate the dough, then
trim to the edge of the pan using the rolling pin for a perfectly round
dough.

I find I can sauce, cheese, and top the dough while it's raw, then bake on
the bottom rack of the oven at 450 degrees. I let it go for about 13
minutes, then I come back and check every minute or so for the nice brown
marks to start appearing on the cheese, indiciating it's almost done.

Damaeus